Sphagnum and Frogs
So a while back I put some dried Sphagnum moss in a Ziploc bag with peat moss...and it sprouted. I am pretty sure whatever sprouted is Sphagnum, but it's relatively small so I am not completely sure. It has been sitting by a window for a while. Recently, I decided to try to grow it more. As seen above, I put some strands of the moss in a pot with some peat moss at the bottom. Then I put it in a water tray with Drosera and filled with water until the water level was just below the moss. Hopefully it grows! The rest of the sphagnum I just left in the bag to grow there.
I'm not planning on sowing any seed this fall, plus many of the seed pods don't seem to have much seed, so I decided to cut off most of the flower stalks and developing seed pods on my Sarracenia. Cutting the stalks should also help more light get to the flytraps in my mini bog garden.
Sarracenia flava pods to the left, Sarracenia leucophylla stalks and flower remains to the right.
N. boschiana is opening a new pitcher! This is the first pitcher it has opened since I put the plant outside for the warmer months.
A relatively large pitcher is beginning to open on N. sanguinea. It is the largest pitcher the plant has ever produced! Notice all the small ridges on the unfolding peristome.
Old vs New
Fed Drosera today with rehydrated freeze dried bloodworms originally meant for fish. They work well for Drosera, at least as far as I can tell.
For more info: How to Feed CPs with dried bloodworms (from ICPS)
N. ventricosa found an unusual place to make a pitcher - inside an old pitcher! I cut back part of the old pitcher to reveal the developing pitcher inside.
D. capensis recovering
D. capensis' condition is improving after it declined for a bit (most likely from flowering). Glad it is coming back!
Rising college student who enjoys growing carnivorous plants.